The First Home Loan Deposit Scheme is a new federal government initiative that commenced on 1 January 2020. Up to 10,000 eligible first home buyers in Australia can apply for the Scheme each year.
The benefits of the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme
- It helps eligible first home buyers to buy their first home sooner by providing them with a government-guaranteed loan as part of their home loan deposit.
- It removes the need for lenders’ mortgage insurance (LMI) on home loans. Most lenders will charge borrowers LMI if their home loan deposit is less than 20%.
The cost of LMI varies depending on the lender, the deposit and the amount borrowed, but it can cost $10,000 or more on a home loan of $500,000. The First Home Loan Deposit Scheme saves borrowers from having to pay this additional cost.
Eligibility for the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme
You’ll be eligible for the First Home Loan Scheme if you satisfy all of the following criteria:
- you’re a first home buyer looking for your primary residence (not an investment property),
- you’re aged over 18,
- you’re an Australian citizen,
- you’re one of the first 10,000 eligible people to apply each year,
- you’re part of a married or de facto couple, and your combined incomes are lower than $200,000 (or if you’re single and your income is less than $125,000), and
- you’re buying a home that is valued below a maximum threshold. In Victoria, the maximum threshold is $600,000 in Melbourne and Geelong and $375,000 outside of these areas.
Using the First Home Owner Grant with the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme
It’s important to understand that you can use the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) as part of the 5% deposit that you need to raise to be eligible for the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme.
In Victoria, the FHOG is available if you’re an eligible first home buyer purchasing or building a new home. The FHOG is $10,000 for new homes in Melbourne and $20,000 for those in regional areas.
How do you apply for the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme?
The First Home Loan Deposit Scheme is administered by the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation (NHFIC). However, you don’t apply for the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme directly through the NHFIC. Instead, you apply to one of their more than 30 partner lenders.
How we can help
Choosing a lender for your home loan is the biggest financial decision you’re likely to ever make. It’s important to understand that even a small difference in home loan features, terms and conditions can make a big difference to your repayments over the life of your loan.
At ARG Finance, our experienced team of mortgage brokers can help you to find a suitable home loan. We’ll take the time to understand your needs before recommending the right lender and home loan for you.
Contact us today to find out how you can take advantage of the First Home Loan Deposit Scheme to buy your first home sooner!
Disclaimer: The content of this article is general in nature and is presented for informative purposes. It is not intended to constitute financial advice, whether general or personal nor is it intended to imply any recommendation or opinion about a financial product. It does not take into consideration your personal situation and may not be relevant to circumstances. Before taking any action, consider your own particular circumstances and seek professional advice. This content is protected by copyright laws and various other intellectual property laws. It is not to be modified, reproduced or republished without prior written consent.